1.bow 2.violin 3.viola 4.(double) bass 5.cello 6.piano
11.flute 12.piccolo 13.oboe 14.recorder 15.clarinet 16.saxophone 17. bassoon
piccolo, flute, oboe, English horn, clarinet, bass clarinet, bassoon, double
7.French horn 8.tuba 9.trumpet 10.trombone
trumpet, trombone, French horn, tuba
18.xylophone 19.drum set 20.cymbal 21.drum
kettledrum , gong, bongos, snare drum, cymbals, tambourine, trialgle, maracas
E. Keyboard Instruments
F. Other Instruments
24. mike/microphone 25.(electric) guitar 26. (bass) guitar
Woodwind: flute, Percussion, kettledrums Brass: French horn,
violin, harp, piano, Strings, conductor
Woodwind section 1.bass clarinet 2.clarinets 3.contrabassoons 4. bassoons 5. flutes
6. oboes 7.piccolo 8.English horns
Percussion section 9. bubular bells 10.xylophone 11. triangle
12.castanets 13.cymbals 14.snare drum 15.gong 16.bass drum 17.rimpani
Bass section 18.trumpets 19.comet 20.trombones 21.tuba 22.French homs
Sring section 23.first violins 24.second violins 25.violas 26.cellos 27.double basses
28.harps 29.piano 30.conductor’s podium
harp, conductor, double bass, violin, podium , viola, cello
trumpet, tuba, tambourine, saxophone, recorder, violin
harmonica, xylophone, guitar, castanets, cymbals, accordion
picano, flute, triangle, drum
singing, play the violin, playing the saxophone, playing the guitar
Music and Musicians
guitarist, acoustic guitar, drummer, drums, amplifier
microphone, singer, bass guitarist, bass guitar, electric guitar,
double bass, clarinet, saxophone, vibraphone, trombone
Traditional musical instruments
Accordion: bellows strap, treble register, treble keyboard, key, grille, bellows, button, bass keyboard, bass register
Bagpipes: drope pipe, blow pipe, stock, windbag, chanter
Balalaika: triagular body.
Banjo – circular body
Music Pictures for Classroom and Therapy Use
Banjo, Boombox, Bugle, Castanets, Circle Time, Clarinet, Compact Disc, Cymbals, Dance, Disco Ball, Drum , Drummer
Drummers , Flute, Flutist , Golden Harp, Guitar, Harmonica, Harp, Headphones, Jig, Ladies Dancing, Maracas, MP3 Player
Music, Music Note, Music Time, Note, Parade, Pat
Piano, Pipers Piping , Radio, Record, Sax, Sharp, Singing, Staff, Sticks, Sway, Tambourine, Theater, Trombone, Trumpet
Trumpet , Tuba, Ukelele, Violin, Wiggle, Xylophone
The words for musicians who play individual instruments:
More words for people involved in music:
alto a female singer with a low voice
bass a male singer with a low voice
choir or chorus director someone who directs a group of singers
conductor someone who directs a band or an orchestra
singer a person who makes music with his or her voice
soprano a female singer with a high voice
tenor a male singer with a high voice
blues: a style of slow jazz evolved from African-American songs
- I love to listen to the blues when I’m lonely.
classical: European musk of the latter half of the eighteenth century; music of acknowledged excellence and serious style
- Classical music is often performed by the city’s symphony orchestra.
country: a style of popular music from the rural American south and southwest
- A lot of country musicians live and work in Nashville, Tennessee.
folk/ ethnic: music that originates among the common people of a region
- Folk music was very popular in the United States in the 1960s.
jazz: a kind of music that originated with African-American bands in the southern United States, characterized by improvisation and strong, flexible rhythm
- Jazz is popular in many parts of the world.
oldies: popular music from an earlier decade
- Her favorite oldies are from the 1950s and 1960s.
popular: music that is appreciated by a large number of people during the current period of time
- That radio station plays only popular music.
rap: a currently popular style of music that originated among African-American performers, characterized by talking, rather than singing, in rhyme and rhythm
- Rap is for listening, not dancing.
rhythm and blues: a style of music with strong, simple rhythm and lyrics that originated in the late 1940s and early 1950s among African-American groups
- Rhythm and blues is great for swing dancing.
rock: a popular style of music played by bands with electric guitars, keyboards, and drums, often with emotional singing by a group or one singer
- Rock concerts are very popular among young people.
rock and roll: a style of music that began in the 1950s and combined elements of rhythm and blues and country
- There were a lot of TV shows with rock-and-roll dancers.
a formal, artistic dance with graceful movements and elaborate technique
- She has been dancing ballet since she was a child.
a ballet show
- We went to the ballet last night.
ballroom: a formal version of popular dance, where style and technique are important, including the foxtrot, waltz, swing, and Latin, among others
- I’m learning the waltz from my neighbor who teaches ballroom dancing.
movement in time with music
- Dance is a good way to exercise and relax at the same time.
an event where people go to dance
- Are you going to the dance on Saturday night?
jazz: a type of ballet performed to jazz music
- She is a top ballet performer and is also accomplished in jazz.
Latin: any of the dances performed to popular music from Latin America, including merengue, salsa, cumbia, bachata, mambo, samba, cha-cha, and tango, among others
- He is a good swing dancer, but what he really likes is Latin dancing.
line: a dance performed to country music, where dancers dance individually but all follow the same steps
- One good thing about line dancing is that you don’t need a partner.
tap: a dance performed with a metal plate attached to the toe or heel of the shoe
- She is good at both ballet and tap.