At the hospital – Health – Photo Dictionary Online
7. operation/ surgery
10. surgical gloves
12. give a shot
18. waiting room
19. surgical collar
dentist: a doctor who takes care of the teeth
- It’s a good idea to see a dentist at least once a year.
dermatologist: a skin specialist
- A dermatologist can help you with your allergies.
doctor/M.D.: a person who has the degree of Doctor of Medicine, works to help sick people, and is licensed to prescribe medicine
- When you are sick, you should go to the doctor.
ear, nose, and throat doctor/E.N.T.: a specialist for the ear, the nose, and the throat
- She sees an E.N.T. for her sinusitis.
eye doctor/ophthalmologist: a specialist for eyes
- The ophthalmologist prescribed glasses for our son.
gastroenterologist: a stomach specialist
- He is seeing a gastroenterologist to help cure his digestive problems.
general practitioner/G.P.: an M.D. who treats most common diseases and ailments
- Our G.P. takes care of the whole family in one visit.
gynecologist: a specialist in women’s health
- Many women are checked by a gynecologist once a year.
obstetrician: a specialist in the delivery of babies
- As soon as she suspected she was pregnant, she went to see an obstetrician.
orthodontist: a dentist who specializes in straightening teeth
- The orthodontist fixed her crooked teeth, and now she has a beautiful smile.
orthopedist: a specialist in bones
- When he broke his leg, the orthopedist put it in a cast.
pediatrician: a specialist in children’s health
- As soon as the baby was born he was examined by a pediatrician.
periodontist: a dentist who specializes in gums
- The periodontist was able to help prevent gum recession in most patients.
podiatrist: a specialist in feet
- The podiatrist told her not to wear high-heeled shoes.
specialist: an M.D. who is an expert in one type of disease or part of the body
- Our G.P. recommended that we take our child to a specialist.
surgeon: a specialist who performs major operations
- The surgeon was in the operating room for four hours.