School – Picture Dictionary
2. nurse’s office
3. guidance office
19. (school) nurse
20. guidance counselor
21. lunchroom monitor
5. principal’s office
18. assistant principal
8. language lab
9. chemistry lab
10. teachers’ lounge
12. locker room
22. cafeteria worker
23. driver’s ed instructor
Classroom – School – Picture Dictionary
1 nursery school/pre-school
3 elementary school
4 junior high/middle school
5 high school
8 technical/vocational school
9 adult education classes
B THE CLASSROOM
11 blackboard/ chalkboard
16 video cassette recorder
17 cassette/CD player
19 overhead projector
20 bulletin board
24 whiteboard marker
A CLASSROOM OBJECTS
B. THE SCIENCE LAB
academy: a private school
- He was educated at a very expensive academy.
college: education beyond high school, where students take general required courses and specialize in a particular area of study leading to a bachelor’s degree
- Her mother made sure that she would be able to go to college.
elementary school: a school that contains classes from kindergarten through grade five or six
- Most children go to an elementary school near where they live.
graduate school: the university programs that lead to advanced degrees, including special schools such as law school, medical school, dental school, and business school
- Many students have full-time jobs and go to graduate school classes in the evening.
high school: a school that contains classes from grades nine or ten through twelve
- Graduation from high school is a requirement for admission to a college or university, and for many jobs.
kindergarten: the first year of school, required in the United States by children aged five
- Many children learn to read in kindergarten.
middle school: a school that contains classes from grade six or seven to grade eight or nine
- Middle school students are usually in the beginning stages of adolescence.
preschool: a school for children aged three or four
- Preschool is a good introduction to school for small children.
private school: a school administered by a private organization, business, church, or other group
- Most private schools require the students to wear uniforms.
public school: a school administered by a local government where instruction is free
- All of their children go to public school.
school: a place for learning
- He is going to open a cooking school in the city.
university: a college that has four-year bachelor’s degree programs and also offers graduate programs where students can do more in-depth study of a chosen subject, leading to a master’s degree or a doctor’s degree
- Some students prefer to get a bachelor’s degree from a small college and then go to a large university for a master’s degree.