Small is used just to talk about size. It is opposite of large
- Could I have a small brandy, please.
- You’re too small to be a policeman.
The adjective little is used to talk about
size + emotion
If we call something little, we usually have some sort of feeling about it-
we like it, or we dislike it, or it makes us laugh, or we think it is sweet.
- Poor little thing- come here and let me look after you.
- What’s he like? Oh, he’s a funny little man.
- What’s that nasty little boy doing in our garden?
- They’ve bought a pretty little house in the country.
Little is not usually used after a verb.